Tomorrow night is the final presidential debate. It is strictly about foreign policy.
It is a chance for both candidates to spell out their vision on that topic.
Obama in particular has been hammered for not spelling out a vision for the country,let alone foreign policy.
This is important because national security, which is part of the foreign policy debate, is front and center on voters minds with all the goings on in the middle east.
Romney/Ryan have little experience in this area while Obama’s record is mixed.
Obama, if you recall, took out Osama Bin laden but has fumbled of late dealing with such issues as Iran,Syria ans the recent terrorist attack in Libya.
This past weekend Obama was hammered by the Romney people for the ‘leak’ regarding the apparent negotiations with Iran ( Iran eventually said the talks were a croc because they were not prepared to negotiate with anybody in the US on the eve of an election).
The Overall poll result is 46% of the people believe Obama won versus 39% for Romney.
Gotta leave the Obama people feeling pretty good eh!
Not so fast. Obama was awful in the first debate and anything a little better would propel his numbers upward. He gets credit there.
In November when Americans cast their vote in the only poll that matters they will be looking for two things as most people do in elections.
They are leadership and the economy. ( Think Harper Harper Harper if you were watching the least Canadian election) . These two factors will stand out even more in the US next month given where the world economy and the US debt-load is.
Romney won by 4% on who would make the best leader ( I hear people screaming that the margin of error makes that a tie, I say who says the margin of error always has to go the way of the loser).
On the poll within a poll that really matter Romney blew Obama away. He won by 18% on which candidate will be able to manage the economy.
If I was running the Republican ad machine I would get the commercials rolling. ” When it comes to your food,job,house taxes and lively-hood Mitt Romney trumps Barack Obama hands down” or something to that effect.
When people go to the polls they are not voting for the most likeable guy, they did that the last time and look where it got them.
They are going to vote for the candidate that will protect their wallet.
1) Romney has to keep up the attack on the Obama record and show the electorate why he is the best leader to put their hopes and dreams with.
2) Obama has to awaken from his coma. If you recall he sat back in round one and let Romney bring the fight to him.He has to state very clearly what his vision for the country is for the next four years.
3) As this is a town hall type debate both candidates will take questions from the voters. This is where Obama usually excels and Romney does not. Obama has a history of being better able to interact with the voters where as Romney tends to be a little gaffe prone.
This should be an interesting night!
My feeling as I have said before is that Obama’s heart is not in the job and if it were up to him he would quit. If Romney brings it to him professionally and aggressively look for Obama to sit back and give up.
What I think this poll is not revealing are three things:
1) Paul Ryan did a great closing that will resonate for weeks to come. He took leadership,said he would be held accountable and not run from the tough decisions that any administration will face in the coming years. He also asked for the vote.
2) People are sick of old style politics and Joe Biden kept interrupting and cutting Ryan off.
3) Most important is this; people want a positive future and Ryan gave them that. I believe this will count big time later on in November when people actually make their voting decision.
Still Biden didn’t lose any immediate ground like Obama did last week.
This debate puts the pressure squarely on the shoulders of Barack Obama in next weeks second presidential debate.
He can’t afford to lay another egg.
I suspect he will. He doesn’t want the job.
I think and I have said before, in his eyes 4 years are enough.
How can somebody with this intelligence level claim to represent anybody, let alone the thousand of women that live in his voting area.
I imagine his wife must be real proud!
This is not the first time Akin’s has got himself into trouble of this type. ( Out of respect for a very famous clown I am not calling this a Bozo eruption. I would not want Bozo‘s good name tarred and feathered by idiots like this)
A poll on Fox news today revealed that 56.18% of the issues put to forth respondents were equally important. Some of the choices were: fixing the medicare overhaul,addressing the threat from Iran,reducing the national debt,securing the boarder and fighting the war on religion.
This poll and the issues put forth may explain in part why Republicans are having a hard time getting behind one candidate.
There is no lighting rod issue to rally the delegates around one candidate.
Curiously absent was ” Giving Obama the boot” which I would think as a fairly important issue to most Republicans.